Well-groomed, stylish women beat out their competition.
Men are extremely visual. Women over 40 must look their absolute best if they want to outshine other attractive women and get a man to notice you. Shallow? Perhaps. But a man's sexual prowess is controlled by his eyes.
Calm down! Men appreciate a variety of facial types and body shapes.
Yes, a woman's self-improvement should begin on the inside, but the way a woman dresses reveals a lot about the way she feels about herself; her personal style expresses her level of confidence, branding and position in life.
On second thought, forget about trying to impress a man—look your absolute best because you're worth it.
Here are 7 tips to help spiff up your exterior image.
- Analyze which colors look best on you. Flattering colors, whether it is clothing or cosmetics, are especially important around your face. Do yourself a favor and find out if your best colors are warm or cool tones.
- Find a core fashion style. Women wear only 20% of their clothing. That tells me, get rid of the 80% that is taking up valuable space in your closet. Your goal is to eliminate the clothes from your closet that you never wear because (1) they do not fit properly, and (2) they are unflattering in color or style. Understanding your fashion personality style will help you avoid future clothing mistakes.
- Wear clothes that fit your body shape. No, Virginia, “blimp” is not a body shape! Stand in front of a full-length mirror, and be honest. Ugh! It’s time to explore the lingerie department for bras that defy gravity and body smoothers that conceal donuts and cottage cheese.
- Accessorize. Accessories are the essence of style: belts, jewelry, scarves, purses, hats, patterned hosiery and shoes turn any outfit into a fashion statement. Out-of-date eyeglasses will murder an otherwise great look.
- Find a hairstyle that fits you. If your stylist continually turns your hair orange, gold or green—and it’s not supposed to be that color—ditch the loyalty and switch to another stylist. Short hair can make you look sassy and youthful! Hair extensions are not just for long hair styles.
- Ease up on the makeup. Mature women need minimum foundation, mascara, blush and lip color. Fill in sparse brows with eyeshadow. Puck or wax your unibrow.
- Groom yourself. Face: Buy yourself a lighted 5x magnifying mirror and get ready to be grossed out! Next to plastic surgery your best friends are: tweezers, Nair for the face, Botox, dermal fillers and quality anti-aging skincare. Teeth: Go to the mirror right now and take an honest look at your teeth. Are your teeth stained, crooked or chipped. Then ask yourself, “Are you turned off by a man’s ragged, discolored teeth?” Hands and Feet: Stop biting those nails! And get regular manicures and pedicures and use hand lotion on your alligator paws.
Read How To Let Go Of Low Self-Esteem And Find Love.
You know what to do—now go do it!
Are you over 40, single and dating and you lack confidence with men? Based on true events, God, Please Fix Me! Trilogy can help you realize you worth as a woman.
God, Please Fix Me! Trilogy A Breakthrough in Self-Esteem, Relationship Understanding and Personal Healing for Women by Nancy Nichols
For More dating insight sign up for Nancy's Newsletters.